Imagine future cities full of gardens with flower carpets, full of playing children, humming bees and fluttering butterflies. Gardens that help to create a healthy environment, cool cities, collect rainwater and are adapted to the local climate. To make this come true, we invite students to design an exhibition garden for the EXPO 2016 in Antalya, Turkey. We challenge bachelor, master and doctoral students to come forward with innovative and holistic design proposals for gardens that:
- Make use of new flower design concepts;
- Show how gardens and landscapes can be especially attractive, instructive and functional for children;
- Show how gardens can contribute to a higher biodiversity;
- Explain landscape design principles that contribute to greener cities; and
- Present innovative concepts of hard landscaping and planting design that are more sustainable in the Mediterranean context.
Participants are invited to interpret these themes and develop design solutions that integrate these themes and make them understandable and presentable to the public at large. The competition is open to all students of landscape architecture, garden design, landscape planning, architecture, and land art. Levels of study may be Bachelor, Master or PhD.
Organisation and jury
The LE:NOTRE Institute organises this competition for the EXPO 2016 in Antalya in collaboration with the landscape architecture department of Akdeniz University. The entries with the garden designs will be judged by an international jury.
There will be three prizes awarded:
- 1st prize: costs for travel and stay 3 days (5 star hotel) for the winner and his/her family (up to 4 persons) to Antalya to attend the prize winning ceremony, 2.000 Euro prize money and construction of the garden in the EXPO, certificate.
- 2nd prize, costs for travel and stay 3 days (5 star hotel) for the prize winner and a friend/family-member (up to 2 persons) to Antalya to attend the prize winning ceremony, 1.000 Euro prize money and certificate.
- 3rd prize: costs for travel and stay 3 days (five star hotel) for the prize winner (one person) to Antalya to attend the prize winning ceremony, € 500 prize money and certificate.
November 5, 6 pm – feedback colloquium for registered participants
December 15 – Latest registration date
January 8, 2016 – Deadline for upload of entries
January 11-12 2016 – Session of the Jury for selection
April 23 2016 – Opening of the EXPO in Antalya